Insurance Safe

Policy Finder

What policies
are you eligible

Answer our simple questions to get started


The Studentsafe Outbound policy provides travel insurance cover to New Zealand residents, citizens and student visa holders who are leaving New Zealand temporarily for study.

Inbound University

The Studentsafe Inbound University policy provides travel insurance cover for international students studying at a University in New Zealand.

Inbound Learners

Our Studentsafe Inbound Learners policies are designed for international students studying at a New Zealand tertiary institution that is not a university.

Inbound Young Learners

Our Studentsafe Inbound Young Learners policies are designed for students attending a New Zealand primary school, intermediate or high school.


Studentsafe Domestic is a travel insurance policy designed for New Zealand residents or citizens living and studying away from home within New Zealand.

Congratulations! You’ve made the decision to study overseas.

Studying abroad or even within New Zealand if you are a New Zealander, is an exciting adventure. But like all adventures, this comes with some level of risk. That’s why it’s important to make sure you have your medical and travel insurance under control. If you are coming to New Zealand, you’ll also need medical cover to qualify for an international student visa. Use the Policy Finder to narrow your policy search, or click on each policy to learn more about the level of cover provided and get a quote.

Studying in New Zealand:
Luckily if you’re an international student who’s been accepted to study at a New Zealand University, your Studentsafe Inbound University policy is offered as part of your enrolment process. If you are not an international student or you are studying at a different educational provider, we can still provide you with a policy.

Studying outside of New Zealand:
If you are currently residing in New Zealand and wishing to study overseas, you might be interested in our Studentsafe Outbound policy.

Taking care of your sexual health

Taking care of your sexual health

If you’re reading this article, you’ve already made a sensible choice. If you’re in a new relationship, or thinking about starting to date, it’s important to think about how you can ensure that you and your partner stay safe when you’re having a little extra ‘fun’.

So read on to learn more about what steps you should be taking to keep safe. The consequences can range from irritating to life-threatening – and that isn’t a gamble anyone should take.

STI protection


Handling Exam Season Stress

The best ways to escape the Kiwi Winter

The best ways to escape the Kiwi Winter

Escape the Kiwi winter – discovering the Pacific and Australia

Unless you’re really into skiing, winter in New Zealand isn’t really the most exciting time of year. It’s not cold enough for there to be pretty snow falling in the cities, but it’s still cold enough that you don’t want to spend time outside unless you have to. Instead of snow, we mostly get rain and wind. It’s certainly not terrible – but it does give you a good excuse to go somewhere sunny if you have the time and budge

Keeping Things Honest

Flatting on a Budget

Keeping Safe and Healthy

Finding a place to call home


Need more information?

Find answers to your important questions

Need to contact us?

24/7 Claims Emergency Assistance

Worldwide +64 9 488 1638

Claims, Sales and General Enquiries

Phone: +64 9 488 1638
Toll Free: 0800 486 004

Insurance safe policy name
Insurance safe policy name
Get Quote

Studentsafe Inbound University

The Studentsafe Inbound University policy provides travel insurance cover for International students studying at a University in New Zealand. All international students studying in New Zealand are required, by the 'Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students', to have medical, travel and other insurance cover for the duration of their study.

New Zealand Universities have worked together to create a group insurance plan to cover their international inbound students’ insurance requirements. This plan is called Studentsafe Inbound University. If you are an international student whose enrolment at a New Zealand university has been accepted, you can be covered under this policy.

Policy Eligibility

You are eligible for the Studentsafe Inbound University Policy if you are;

  • A non-New Zealand citizen or resident, aged less than 60 years of age, who studies at a New Zealand University and temporarily resides in New Zealand. 

Family members, under 60 years of age, can also be covered under the Studentsafe Inbound University policy. A Family Application Form will need to be completed and an additional family or couple premium will be payable to the University. Acceptance is subject to Allianz Global Assistance approval.  

Click here to download a Family Application Form.

Click here  to review the  Studentsafe University policy for 2018 if you have a claimable event in this period.

Record of cover

We will send you a Record of Cover electronically when your student records are sent to us by the University. The Record of Cover will include specific information about your policy including your period of cover. We recommend that you store this in a safe place. You can also contact us to request this information earlier.

Policy Claims Excess

The Studentsafe Inbound University policy includes an excess of $200 for baggage and portable computers or sporting equipment. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Please refer to the Policy Wording for detailed terms of cover.

 Pre-existing medical conditions

The Studentsafe Inbound University policy does not automatically cover pre-existing medical conditions. A pre-existing condition is a medical or physical condition that you had before you enrolled in the plan and can extend to conditions you were aware of but did not seek treatment for. Cover can be arranged in certain circumstances by completing a medical assessment form. An additional premium will be charged if we agree to provide cover.

Click here to download a Medical Assessment form.

Specified High Value Items 

For any baggage items that are worth more than the policy item limit of $2,500 you can extend the cover and specify the item on your policy. An additional premium will be charged to specify an item and you should insure it for the indemnity or current value of the item.

Click here to download a Specified High Value Items Form

Campus Health Centre List

If you are a Studentsafe Inbound University policyholder and you attend your Campus Health Centre, you may be eligible to have your consultation fees paid by us without paying the centre or filing a claim form.

Making a claim 

To learn more about how to make a claim, visit the claims page on this website.

Insurance safe SOB Image

Policy Finder

What policies are you eligible for?
Answer our simple questions to get started.

01 What is the reason for your travel?

02 What country will you be travelling to?

03 Where will your travel start from?

04 Where will you study in New Zealand?

Get Quote

Travelling from

Travelling to

Start date

End date

Number of adults

Number of children

Age of adults

Promo code


Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat